‘In and out – sewing and weaving’ was developed using concepts from our Dragonflies art and craft program. Our Dragonflies programs focus on fostering fine motor skill development through fun and creative arts & craft activities.
This kit comes with detailed instructions, a list of materials, and skills learned, and when purchasing the pack all the materials needed to complete the activity!
This kit is divided into a five part activity series, and can be tailored to your child’s needs. Each activity is designed to be a progression of skills to create a final artwork. Throughout each separate activity your child will start to learn and develop basic skills, and make different art elements that will come together to create the final piece – a woven hanging circle.
We encourage you to participate and learn with your child through these activities, and take the time to explain and demonstrate the process. It is more important to practice the skill rather than to completely finish the activity and craft.
This kit is suitable for children aged 3 – 5 years old.
- Lacing practice
- Making a pattern: What comes next?
- Threading the tassels
- Weaving circle
Skills learned over the activities:
- Pincer grip, building hand muscle strength
- Hand eye coordination, visual tracking, bilateral coordination, visual perception
- Logical thinking/sequencing
- Attention and concentration
‘In and Out’ materials included in this kit:
- 5 x instruction worksheets
- 1 x animal lacing board (assorted),
- 3 x lacing threads (assorted)
- ‘What comes next?’ worksheet,
- Colouring markers
- Variety of beads, straws, pom poms.
- Plastic safety needle
- Variety of thread (50cm wool, ribbon, jute, spaghetti string),
- Thread (100cm wool, jute), 2 x fabric squares
- 2 x cardboard weaving circles
Materials not included:
sticky tape, small bowl/container, scissors
Buy Now $25.00
Adult supervision and participation is necessary for these activities. These activities are not suitable for children under 3 years due to small parts and choking hazards.
Please note: There are limited kits available.
Kits may be purchased online with the option of click and collect (free) or a flat rate of $5.00 shipping in NSW.
During our closedown period from Monday 21 December 2020 to Friday 8 January 2021, once purchased, kits can be collected from Hurstville Library during opening hours or select the shipping option at the time of purchase.
Our Museum & Gallery is still open to the public during our opening hours, so please come along and see our great exhibitions.
We hope to see you soon at Hurstville Museum & Gallery!