Mother’s day is just around the corner and it’s the perfect time to brighten the day of someone special with a handmade gift!
Did you try out Georges River Libraries ‘paper vase’ craft? (You can watch the ‘how to’ video here). Now you can make some flowers to go with that vase by creating a flower garden pop-up card!
Watch the video and follow the steps below to create your pop-up card, ready to fill with a special message.
You will need
- A4 paper or cardboard, for the card base
- A4 green paper
- Assorted pieces of coloured paper
- Glue stick
- Fold the A4 cardboard and green paper in half and cut away the edge of the green paper on all sides except the folded side, so it is slightly smaller than the A4 card. You can cut the edge wavy or straight, it’s up to you!
- Keeping the paper folded, make two parallel cuts in to the folded edge of the green paper, about 1.5cm apart. This cut will make the stem of the first pop up flower.
- Leaving a gap of about 2cm, make two more slightly longer, parallel cuts in to the folded edge of the paper. This is the stem of your second flower.
- Leaving another gap of 2cm, make two more parallel cuts, the same length as the first ones. This is the third stem.
- Fold each stem until the end of the cut, and press to make a crease
- Open up the green paper and place face up on a flat surface. Using the glue stick, cover the surface of the green paper with glue, except for the stems.
- Open up the A4 card and carefully stick the green paper inside, making sure the folding crease of each sheet aligns.
- Open and close the card and watch the stems pop up, ready to decorate!
- Using your coloured paper and pencil, draw and cut out three flowers about 3-4 cm wide. You can use whatever colours you have available. We chose red, blue and white, with yellow in each centre.
- Cut two leaf shapes from green paper.
- Now it’s time to glue the flowers to the stems. Unfold the card so the green side is face up and lying flat. The stems should be lying flat, not popping up. Find the fold line on the first stem, and place a small amount of glue just below the fold.
- Choose one of your paper flowers, and stick it to the glue.
- Repeat for the remaining stems and flowers.
- Glue the two leaves to the two flower stems on the edge of the card.
- Now you can add more decorations to personalise your card! You might want to cut out more paper flowers to glue on the inside and outside of the card, or draw some pictures
- Don’t forget to write a message and sign the card before you give it to someone special!
Tips: If you don’t have any coloured paper, you can draw and colour in your flowers on white paper, or why not try cutting out photos of flowers from a magazine!